Don’t live in Houston? Visit your local emergency management agency’s website to sign up for alerts in your area.
Find them online at readyhoustontx.gov.
Staying informed during emergencies is important. There are two notification systems you can sign up for that the City of Houston will use to alert the public when emergencies occur.
AlertHouston provides Houston residents with timely information about current conditions, expected impacts, and tips for keeping themselves, and their families safe.
To unsubscribe from all alerts, send your request to email@example.com
Sign up for AlertHouston
Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Notification System
– Messages are issued for neighborhood level emergencies such as chemical releases, police activity, etc.
– They are sent through phone, text, and email
– If you have a traditional land-line telephone, you’re already opted in. If you only use a mobile phone or digital voice service, you must opt-in to receive these alerts.
Sign up for the GHC911 Emergency Notification System
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)
Emergencies don’t care where you are – they can happen when you’re at work, school, at home, or on vacation. The Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) system was developed to help inform the public in a specific area of emergency situations that require them to take action quickly to avoid injury.
The City of Houston has access to WEA for very serious, life-threatening emergencies. Additionally, you may also receive notifications from Federal State Agencies, and neighboring local agencies.
The National Weather Service issues WEA messages for the following situations:
- Tsunami Warning
- Tornado Warning
- Extreme Wind warning
- Flash Flood Warning
- Hurricane Warning
- Typhoon Warning
- Blizzard Warning
- Ice Storm Warning
- Dust Storm Warning
- Child Abduction Emergencies (AMBER Alerts)*
* AMBER Alerts are issued by NWS on behalf of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) or the Houston Regional AMBER Alert Program
The City of Houston may issue a WEA warning for:
- Terrorist Activity
- Citywide Weather Emergencies
- Evacuation Orders
- Shelter-in-Place Emergencies
- Other emergencies which require action to protect life
Your phone is likely already opted-in to receive WEA messages. If you’ve opted out, please make sure you opt-back in. These messages could save your life.